The Library of the Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegial Holy Trinity Monastery of Halki or the Library of the Halki Theological School is linked with the history of the Monastery of the Holy Trinity and dates as far back in the Byzantine period as Theodoros Stoudites. Patriarch Metrophanes 3rd of Constantinople (1565 AD) was its main organizer; he donated to the Library three hundred manuscripts. Many of them survive today in the Patriarchal Library.
The Library, particularly from 1951 onwards, under the reorganization of the School is part of a modernization program, in charge of which there is a special three-member Committee comprised of School Teachers. The library of a scientific research institution constitutes a self-evident infrastructure for the effective function thereof. The effort to renew and enrich the library met with the willing response on the part of institutions of higher education, publishing organizations of Churches, authors and alumni of the Schools who donated books from their personal libraries.
The effort of the Committee was extremely efficient and coincided with the emergence of an exciting theological volume of work in the world, on account of significant initiatives undertaken by the Eastern and Western Churches on key theological issues and inter-Church initiatives. So, besides a valuable number of critical editions of patristic Literature, minutes of holy Synods and other important texts for theological research, the Library acquired many books that cover the whole range of subjects of the sacred science and are products of modern theological research. Also, it has a section of periodic publications with texts of theological interest, Greek and foreign scientific journals that cover the contemporary inter-Christian theological reflection.
Today, the Library of the School, renovated and managed in accordance with the requirements of the contemporary library science, has comfortable reading areas with state-of-the-art equipment for the visiting researcher.